Thursday, August 13, 2009

The return of Circusliz

In my last post I promised to share how my efforts to deal with Nick's absence are good for the economy. In my attempts to fill up all of my free time (and I have a lot of it, too much for my own good really), I've developed a new addiction -- well, an old one really, just with a new outlet.

Circus is back in my life.

I might as well just hand my entire bank account over to TSNY DC. But right now, circus = therapy, so I'm willing to pay up. And like I said, good for the economy blah blah blah.

Here's a quick glimpse of the return of Circusliz.

This is me on the silks, one of the few aerial acts I never had chance to try in my earlier circus life. Don't let the picture fool you; I'm not very good. But it is a good challenge, a fantastic workout and a lot of fun.


It's also somewhat painful, in a Spanish web kind of way. Here's the burn I got on the back of my leg from doing an inverted descent, ie. sliding down the silks while hanging upside down by one leg. My first circus injury in 7 years, and I wore it with pride!



Continuing on with the injuries...here's the massive bruise, nasty scrape, and swollen ankle I received during my first flying trapeze class, courtesy of a wonky Birdie to the catcher. (The straight line across my ankle is the bruise, not a shadow. It was bizarre!)

I haven't flown in 7 years; I haven't flown to a catcher in at least 9 years! It. Was. Awesome. And again, I bore my injury with pride and excitement.

It's a sickness, really.

For any of my DC friends who are thinking of giving flying a try: you won't walk away from your first lesson looking like this. I promise.

My college/circus friend Chrissy stopped by on her way to West Virgina where she's working as a circus coach for the summer. She took this gorgeous picture of the fly rig at its outdoor location in downtown DC. It will be moved to an indoor location at the Navy Yards in the fall, so that the school can stay open year round.


I'm not posting any pictures or videos of me on the flying trapeze yet. Nick's never seen me fly; I'm signed up for two classes while he's home on leave, and I don't want to ruin the surprise.

But just in case you need additional proof that Circusliz is back, feast your eyes on the guns.

1 comment:

  1. She's baaa....aaack!

    So now instead of looking like an abused child, you look like an abused wife. Well, since Nick's in Afghanistan I guess he won't be implicated.

    Just think of circus as better therapy than lying on a psychiatrist's couch. At least you get a physical workout, too. Hmmm, I wonder if this could be covered by insurance?

    Love, MM

    ReplyDelete