Tuesday, February 9, 2010

All I want for Christmas....New Years...Valentines Day?

My apologies for the long silence. An entry explaining everything -- or which at least attempts to make amends -- is in the works.

In the mean time, I would just like to announce that I am now taking bets on whether I will be going on vacation to Singapore and Bali with an empty suitcase.

Yes, it's been nearly three months since I packed out of DC, and none of my shipments have arrived. That includes my unaccompanied baggage (UAB; i.e. all of the clothing that I didn't carry with me on the plane) which HR estimates usually arrives at post anywhere from 2-3 weeks after packout. For those of you not keeping count, I'm up to Week 12.

But luckily for me, the UAB contains only unimportant, useless items. Like my winter coats and snow boots, which wouldn't have been at all helpful in keeping me warm or my feet dry in the rain and sleet and slush that that have descended upon Kabul over the past week. And like my entire summer wardrobe, which I definitely won't need when I go to Singapore and Bali 10 days from now. I'm sure I'll be quite comfortable trekking through the jungle in my winter sweaters and long pants.

I am at the end of my rope. The government could not have been less helpful throughout the entire process of getting me out to Kabul. Denied security clearance. Going incommunicado for nearly 3 weeks. Delay after delay after delay. Leaving me at the Kabul airport. Failure to add me to Nick's health insurance. Overcharging us on flights for our leave to the tune of $1400. And now, a potential ruined vacation.

So, any takers on the bet? Odds are 2-1 against.

On a different note....for those of you who are curious as to what I'm working on, you can some of my work here and here.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the good 'ol USG... where it truly seems like they're reinventing the wheel every time you need to ask for their help.

    UAB not there after 12 weeks. I'd go crazy! Best of luck in getting it soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill! Complaining about my clothes makes me feel like such an ungreatful wench. There are bigger problems in the world. But at this point, I've just about had it and can't seem to stop whining!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, By any chance are there any clothing optional beaches (or jungles) in Bali? Love, MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear mysterious MM,

    No, in fact, I have to dress somewhat conservatively in both Singapore and Bali. Bare shoulders are considered inappropriate, except on the beaches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So now I get to be MMM!

    ReplyDelete