Monday, March 29, 2010

Chag Sameach

Happy Passover to all of my fellow MoTs! The progressive Seder was a big hit. We ended up with about 20 people all together, which is a tight squeeze in our apartment. But we made it work.
This photo is actually from the end of the Seder, after the 4 (or more) cups of wine. Which is why we all look a little goofy. Hooray wine!

We hosted the "ceremonial" part of the Seder in our place, complete with charoset (made by Nick -- a big hit!), matzah & maror (thanks again to Mom M for the survival kit), eggs from the D-FAC, and karpas (parsley) provided by a contact outside the wire. We had a Seder plate, with a shankbone that was at least fresh and most likely hallal, if not exactly kosher.


Brad breaking the afikomen, which he diligently hid, but which we forgot to search for after the meal.

For the soup course, we moved upstairs to another apartment, for real, homemade matzah ball soup, with Passover popovers (Mom M to the rescue again!) The popovers were tasty, but were lacking the puffiness that makes my Mom's so delicious. Mine were dense and very filling. I think the altitude messed with them.
Nick, with his popover and matzah ball soup, sans matzah ball. It vanished pretty quickly.

We had dinner at a third apartment, with lamb, potatoes, and lots of salad -- the one thing that's easy to come by in these parts. We're pretty sure the lamb was actually an old sheep, as the meat was a little tough. But still delicious, and still not D-FAC food.

Not a bad spread for a somewhat ad hoc seder

For dessert we moved back down to our apartment, where we feasted on the macaroons I showed off yesterday, and a flourless chocolate cake. We let Elijah borrow the glass I gave to Nick as a wedding present, and we opened the door for him, drawing a strange look from a passing gurka (Nepalese guard).

Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought that I'd be hosting a Seder in Kabul. But in the end, it was pretty much like any other Seder. Yes, we were sitting on the floor, we used mismatched flatware, and we served everything buffet style. But all of the important bits were there: good food, good friends, and LOTS of wine! It's been a really, really, really rough and bizarre and frustrating 5 days at work, so I was grateful for this opportunity to spend time doing something almost normal.

Chag Sameach to all. Next year....still in Kabul! But, fingers crossed for us hosting our 2012 Seder in Tel Aviv.

PS: On a completely unrelated note, I ran my first 10k (a personal best for distance!) last Friday, finishing in 1:03:54. Not half bad, I think, particularly given the thin and polluted Kabul air. Pictures to come, I hope!

3 comments:

  1. Chag Sameach to you too Liz! Glad to see that you managed to have a rockin Seder with your friends at post!

    Here's hopoing you make it to Tel Aviv... it was a great posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jill. It would probably be a rough posting for Nick (he'd be with the West Bank/Gaza USAID office), but I think I would really like living in Tel Aviv.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is lovely! I just found your blog and will enjoy catching up. Bridget (FS candidate waiting on clearances). PS I'm linking to you from my blog

    ReplyDelete