Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Out

Let's see, what I have I been up to over the past week or so?

Oh, just the usual really. I ran 7.5 miles last Friday, although it took me forever because I had to stop to go to the bathroom 5 times (I caught the Noro virus that's going around the compound).

What else? Um, Nick came back from Greece loaded down with goodies: olives, bread, tins of eggplant and green beans, cheese, halva, salmon, dried meats, tea. So that was nice.

I think that's about all....

Oh yeah, I also wrote some remarks for some Embassy official. And for the Administrator Shah guy that he mentioned.

And on Tuesday I went here....

Which looks like this.....


...and this....
(photo courtesy of skyscapercity.com)

...and this.

I went to a conference where lots of important people talked about marble, about how important it is to Afghanistan's economic development (there's an estimated $1 trillion+ dollars worth in the ground), and how bad it is that the current practice of extracting the marble from the quarries -- otherwise known as blasting it out with dynamite -- results in a loss of 50-80% of the product, and the stone that isn't destroyed is pretty damaged. But there was still some cool stuff on display made from stone that survived.



And then these two high-ranking U.S. officials....
(that's Dep. of State Jack Lew in the middle, and Ambassador Karl Eikenberry on the right)

...stood up in front of the huge conference hall full of important people and said some more words that I had written.

And then I ate some yummy Afghan food, and then we flew home.

I can smell the pollution from here


Another day, another dollar. You know?

The end.

4 comments:

  1. You are cool! Glad you got to travel a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!!! What a week!

    Now, is that you in the photograph?!? Because YOU are GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep that's me doing my "movie star glam" routine, and thanks for the compliment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's Friday, and that means that the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up - and you're on it!

    Here is the link:

    http://bit.ly/9eiR0S

    (If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete