Monday, April 19, 2010

Shaken, not stirred

Coming to Afghanistan, there were two things about which I was especially nervous: bombs, and earthquakes. I experienced a bomb less than three weeks after I arrived, so that left only the earthquake to worry about.

Last night I was reading in bed by flashlight, as Nick had already gone to sleep. I'm used to him being a little twitchy when he first starts to go under, so when the mattress started bouncing in a strange way, I assumed it was just Nick being really, really twitchy.

This morning I received an email confirming the occurrence of a 5.3 earthquake on April 19 at 12:58 AM Kabul time. The epicenter was in Samangan, 120 miles north.

Huh.

Now, don't get me wrong. After all of the recent catastrophic earthquakes, I'm quite glad that this was a small one. Given that many of the structures in Kabul -- and throughout Afghanistan -- look like this....


...even a small earthquake could be devastating.

But there's also a small part of me that's a little disappointed. After all of my worrying...that was kind of anti-climactic.

2 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness!

    And earthquake!?!? GIRL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had earthquakes constantly in Iceland and I never felt a darn one, even the two 6 pointers and above. Our first night in our CA house, I plug in the vacuum, turn it on and the house starts shaking like there's no tomorrow. It wasn't until we were outside and the neighbor said "Welcome to CA", that the kids believed me that it was an earthquake and not poor housecleaning abilities on my part.

    Very glad for no damage though...too easy to imagine the devastation...

    And I am going to check out that airport link...sounds like a heavenly way to spend a layover!

    ReplyDelete