Monday, June 14, 2010

Perspective

If you're wondering if we made it back to Kabul safely, we did.

If you're wondering why I haven't posted anything since our return, it's because coming back has been hard. And when things get hard I find it difficult to motivate myself to post. And when I do post when things are hard, I tend to whine a lot.

My post about our return to Afghanistan was going to be a whine fest. I was going to whine about how discouraged I get trying to maneuver my way through US government bureaucracy. About how our trip back to US made me realize how much life I'm missing by being here. About how I've reached the limit on my ability to eat DFAC food. About how defeated I feel.

But then I read this article and looked at these pictures from the New York Times about U.S. military medical evacuation teams......and I realized that I have no right to complain about my experience in Afghanistan.

Perspective. It's a sobering thing.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Liz.

    I could only read so much of that article and only view so many of those pictures before I had to stop. With an older son who wants to go into the Service, I Just. Can't. Read/Look.

    Prayers for you that your time there grows more pleasant for you, and that you find peace and bits of loveliness around you. I'm so sad/sorry that I didn't have the pleasure to meet you on your last trip home. I so very much hope I do during your next.

    ReplyDelete