Friday, June 4, 2010

We're still alive

I did warn everyone that posting would be light while we soak up as much family time/friend time/DC time/freedom time while we're back in the U.S. For once I'm following through on something I promised on the blog. Heh.

We're coming to the end of our home leave -- just 3 short days left. In bullet form, highlights of the trip thus far are:
  • riding in a convertible with Nick driving
  • getting my hairs cut
  • visiting with the whole Marvin clan at my grandmother's 90th birthday party
  • finding vacuum packed fresh gnocchi and vacuum packed sausages, neither of which need to be refrigerated. Score!
  • clothes shopping in an actual store! I shelled out $200+ dollars at H&M in one go
  • watching Nick and my dad grilling together
  • eating my mom's home cooked food
  • watching Nick devour $42 worth of sushi by himself
  • visiting with the whole Vivio family
  • Mom X's fridge full of Greek goodies
  • seeing Iron Man 2 in a real movie theater. The movie wasn't that great, but my new philosophy about most things is "it's better than Kabul." So from that perspective, the movie was fantastic!
  • gorging ourselves on Chicago deep-dish pizza
  • watching a major sporting event (Blackhawks vs Flyers) at the appropriate hour while drinking beer in a noisy bar filled with other sports fans (instead of in a dusty tent with four guys sipping coffee at the butt crack of dawn)
  • watching the current episode of Glee as it airs
  • indulging in a fancy lunch at Central. I would crawl belly deep through hell for the gougeres alone
  • running from Foggy Bottom to far Capitol Hill and realizing just how much my running has improved. And Nick made the run too. I am so proud.
  • flying trapeze
  • seeing a show! The fact that is was the world premiere of a new musical -- Sycamore Trees -- at Signature Theater only sweetened the deal
  • having a little alone time with my Toad so that I could vent without worrying about hurting anyone's feelings
  • Nick finally getting his hands on his new bike
  • blasting Glee in the car with my sister (how could I forget this when I first wrote this post?)

We're planning to make the most of our remaining time, busying ourselves with a big happy hour party with our friends, more trapeze classes, more theater, more runs through the city, more visits with friends and family, and more shopping. It's busy busy busy, so I'm going to leave the post here and go get started on all of those things we stall have left to do.

But before I go, here's what our Year 2 consumables shipment looked like:



9 comments:

  1. YAY for all of it, but especially for a small amount of Frog and Toad one-on-one time. Love and kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo!

    Am loving the photo of the consumables shipment! Awesome!

    I love seeing what different people are buying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Surpised that cuddling with Caela wasn't on your list!

    And, while that is an awesome amount of goods, it doesn't look like a year's worth or the amount of pounds you're allowed.

    Wish I could hug you both one more time.

    Love, MMM

    ReplyDelete
  4. We didn't max out our consumables weight allowance because we can't ship consumables home from Kabul at the end of our post. Anything we don't eat or use up will have to stay in Kabul. Usually people sell off or just give away their leftovers when they depart post. So we only shipped what we thought we needed to get through the next year. And we still have A LOT of food left from our first shipment (since it only arrived at the end of Feb.)

    Wish we could hug you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're enjoying your time away... Ahhhh the consumables shipment. I won't miss that for awhile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s Friday, and that means that the Weekly State Department Blog Roundup is up – and you’re on it!

    Here is the link:
    http://bit.ly/aic8FC

    (If I quoted your text or used your photo(s) and you would rather I had not, please let me know. Please also be sure to check the link(s) that I put up to you, in order to verify that they work properly. If you would rather that I had not referenced you, and/or do not want me to reference you in the future, please also contact me.)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why the kitty litter? I thought no pets were allowed in Kabul.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can have a cat if you live alone in a hooch. No pets are allowed in the apartment.

    The kitty food is for the Embassy cats who live on the compound and belong to no one. Some are rather feral, some are very friendly. Nick is a total sucker for them all. He's currently working on socializing some new kittens who live under the Infrastructure container.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting, thanks! It's nice to know that life in Kabul need not be completely "pet"-free...

    ReplyDelete