Thursday, October 28, 2010

Every once in a while

To be honest, I have been a little skeptical of the new themed format of the Weekly Foreign Service Blog Roundup. But, seeing as the new format has inspired me to write new posts for two weeks in a row, I suppose I need to change my position. This week's theme is "I never knew I'd"....

I have two. The first is just a random thought. The second was inspired by a little trip (and I mean LITTLE -- all of about 90 seconds) I took yesterday afternoon.

I never knew I'd....:
  • ....actually like being a wife
  • ....get to ride in a bad-ass Chinook* helicopter. You know, the kind where the back hatch stays open, with a gunner dangling his/her feet over the edge.

© Crown Copyright/ MOD 2009

Photo used via a Creative Commons license.

I know that I mostly gripe about being in Afghanistan. But I have to admit that experiences like this do make me just a little giddy. But only a little.

*Disclaimer: Obviously I didn't take these photos. Of course I'd be the idiot to forget her camera. But I swear I really flew on one of these yesterday!

5 comments:

  1. Liz, that is AWESOME. I mean, as in, completely and totally AWESOME. I can't even imagine having that kind of crazy excitement. What an incredible experience!!

    I like being a wife, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kolbi -- It was a really cool trip. Too bad it didn't last longer! We flew from the airport to the Embassy. By car it's about a 5 minute drive, traffic depending. So you can imagine how short the flight was.

    I still find it funny to think of myself as a wife. It's weird cause I was never the marrying type. I mean, Nick and I were together for 8 years before we finally took the plunge. And he'd been ready to be married for a while. I was the one stalling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post has been included in the weekly State Department Blog Round Up
    at:

    http://smallbitsfs.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-never-knew-state-department-round-up.html


    Thanks for your wonderful contribution! (and that copter looks pretty cool)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in the Army and spent some time in Chinooks... I never got over how BIG they are. Like a bus... a flying bus! Take care out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit to being slightly jealous of my husband when he got to do this. Just the helicopter part, none of the rest of it!

    ReplyDelete