Sunday, May 29, 2011

Satisfied

You guys, I saw Afghanistan this weekend.

I know what you're thinking. But Liz, you've been in Afghanistan for 18 months. You've been seeing it for the past year and a half. What in the world are you talking about?

I'm talking about this.




This weekend, I went to Panjshir. Picturesque, secure, awe-inspiring. The Province that gave birth to Ahmed Shah Massoud, which resisted both Soviet and Taliban occupation.


The province where my nascent squat toilet skills weren't needed....because I was mostly peeing in holes in the ground over running streams.


It was clean. It was rustic. It wasn't Kabul. It was exactly what I needed in order to make it through these next two weeks.

It was everything I expected Afghanistan to be.

Old Russian Tank

Villagers in Shahr Bland village


Shahr Bland elder


Snack from....and bare feet of...our lovely hosts in Shahr Bland. Yes, the server is walking where the food is served.


Old Russian artillery something or other


Curious kids in Shahr Bland

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful scenery and beautiful children!

    ReplyDelete