Sunday, September 16, 2012

All quiet on the Ma'adi front

So, as you all probably guessed, Nick and I have pretty much let this blog fall into hibernation.  I just don't have that much to say about my life in NYC, and Nick was never particularly into writing here.  I will probably resume regular posts when I join him in Cairo next summer, but until then expect posting to be very light, possibly non-existent.

However, I am popping back online today because my mom told me that she's fielded a number of calls this week from family and friends who aren't Facebook friends with either Nick or me, and who have been concerned about Nick's safety given the recent unrest in Cairo.

First of all, a big thanks to everyone who called or emailed or kept us in your thoughts.  Second, I am happy to report that Nick is just fine.  He's quite fortunate that the Embassy and USAID Mission in Cairo aren't co-located; the Mission is located in a "suburb" of Cairo called Ma'adi, well away from downtown.  Nick's apartment complex is also located in Ma'adi, so he's been able to maintain a safe distance from the violence going on in Tahrir Square.  In fact, he just enjoyed a rather normal weekend - boating on the Nile, a BBQ at a friend's house, and I think a bike ride out in the wadi.

We are of course both heartbroken by the deaths of Ambassador Stevens, Sean Smith, Glen Doherty and Tyrone Woods in Libya, as well as the growing number of victims of green-on-blue violence (trainees attacking their trainers) in Afghanistan.  We are both keeping a close eye on the situation in Egypt and throughout the region.  If the situation in Cairo escalates in the coming weeks, I will make an effort to post on this blog to update you all on Nick's situation.  PS: I'm much better at updating my Facebook page, so if you want to be guaranteed to get updates, post a comment below asking to be Facebook friends and I will probably agree to "friend" you.

I wish I had something moving or thoughtful to say about the situation to conclude this post.  Instead, I leave you all with the moving and thoughtful words of others, whose opinions and insights have touched me in the past few days.

1 comment:

  1. Liz,

    you don't know me but I read with great interest your experiences with the "foreign Service" in Afghanistan. It cemented in me the desire to go back to either diplomacy or development work. So thanks!

    Kristina

    ReplyDelete