Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Watchful waiting

For those of you who are still following this blog in spite of the long gaps between posts, here's a quick update on Nick and the situation in Egypt.

First things first...he's safe.  He is still at post, and is likely to remain there for a while.  Washington is watching the situation very closely, and is taking steps to secure the safety of US diplomatic staff.  As I mentioned in this previous blog post, our walled-and-guarded apartment complex and Nick's office are a bit removed from Tahrir Square, the locus of most of the violence.  Moreover, as one of the last program officers remaining at the USAID mission (due to turnover prior to the recent unrest, not from evacuations), Nick is rather essential to the mission's operations.  So for the time being he will remain at post.

Second things second....I've been asked a few times about whether this affects my plans to join Nick in Cairo in September.  The only answer I can give is that we just don't know yet.  We had just started the process of getting me to post -- securing my medical clearance, obtaining visas, etc --  when this all began.  For the time being we are proceeding as if this will all blow over and I will have no problem joining Nick in Cairo some time on/around September 10th.  If the situation deteriorates further or if Nick is evacuated...well, then he and I will have a chat and figure out what we do next.  But we'll cross that bridge if/when we get to it.

So for the time being we're sort of in a holding pattern, watching and waiting to see how the next 48-72 hours turn out. Limbo.  People have asked me how I'm handling the situation, and the only thing I can do is remind myself that this is beyond my control.  It's the military vs Morsi vs the people.  All Nick and I can do is ride the wave and wait for an outcome.   

No comments:

Post a Comment